Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Penny Reid, Smart Romances, and the bearded Winston brothers....

A couple of years ago I dated a guy with a beard. A beard reminiscent of the Duck Dynasty fellows. And then like it was total Universe-ordained synchronicity I caught my eyes on the cover for Winston Brothers #3 "Beard Science". The wildness of the beard digitally cross-stitched on the cover was nearly identical to the beard of my then-current beau. I, of course, picked it up for the irony of it. And while my bearded beau and I did not last - me and the author of the bearded brothers series were to embark on a long-term reader-author relationship that has yet to fizzle out. 

Penny Reid self entitles herself as the author of 'smart romances'. Romances that do not coddle the reader and books that include smart ladies with interesting edges and backgrounds. I, being a mildly intelligent and discerning reader with a few edges and a interesting background myself, was intrigued by this statement 'Smart Romance' and I fell in love with Beard Science and with Cletus and all the Winstons (and most of all - the Banana Cake Queen leading lady who stole my heart faster than she stole Cletus's). 

I have not read every single book in the series yet nor have I read many of her others but each book in each of her many series seems to be able to be read as a standalone novel. Which is why I was able to hop right into the third official book of the Winston Brothers series without feeling like I was lost in a sea of pre-established story lines. And, yes, I do find this a very smart move. Get it? Smart. Yea. I'm cheesy that way. Her other series include (but not exclusive to) - Knitting in the City Series, Hypothesis Series, Rugby Series, Ideal Man Series. 

I have a fondness for imaginative authors who don't mind being upfront and very clear about their genre. Example...my befuddling and slightly embarrassing but entirely guilty pleasure obsession with Kirsten Ashley's Fantasy Land and the Dream Man series. It's a successful genre for a reason and there's just no point in trying to make it otherwise when you're writing it. Honestly, just own what you write. It gives you freedom to rock what you got. Penny Reid is a perfect example of this. I prefer authors who aren't afraid of being like "Yea, my main characters are fantasy men. They're real and perfect and flawed but yea, in a perfect way, and I write them so you can root for them. I own it. And so should you. BECAUSE THAT IS THE GENRE I WRITE IN." In her case especially, I think her ownership of her chosen genre gives her the ability to stomp over formulaic cliches and write romances with fantasy-level characters in a very real way. 

To me, The Winston Brothers are a huge fantasy. Handsome, bearded, genius, diverse but complementary personalities, tight-knit, and honorable. As a reader you alternate between wishing that you were a long lost Winston or fated to marry one of them. Err...well, at least that's what I was feeling when I read them. (Note : I haven't finished the series yet - the last one isn't published yet. So the jury is out on which I'll end up being. Long lost sister or destined soulmate although..now that I think about it - if my former bearded beau ended up being half as dashing and sturdy as a Winston brother...our story would have ended a whole other way). 

I recently (as of yesterday) finished the first actual novel in the series. I have read the .5 book (the Winston Brothers is a spin off of the Knitting in the City series and features the one and only Winston sister Ashley) and I have read Beard Science. I'm currently listening/reading my way through Grin or Beard It (Winston #2). To be honest, Cletus is my favorite and I wish I hadn't started with his because the other brothers pale in comparison to his mad genius brain. And the other brothers are absolutely amazing it's just...Cletus is my favorite. I want more of him and his no-longer Banana Cake Queen. Because I think its best to start with the first novel of the series (despite each being able to be read as a standalone) I've included the first 'Truth or Beard" (Winston #1) here:    

Truth or Beard by Penny Reid (Winston #1)

Visual Description : The digitally created cover is set up as a cross-stitch piece in a wooden frame. A outline of a man with a red beard and hair with 'Truth or Beard' where his face features should be is cross-stitched in the center. Above and below is a line of blue hearts. Every illustration except the wooden frame is cross-stitched. Note: All covers in this series is set up the exact way except the beard and hair styles are different colors and shapes as they depict the Winston brother the book features. (Beard Science is more zany)
"Beards, brothers, and bikers! Oh my! Identical twins Beau and Duane Winston might share the same devastatingly handsome face, but where Beau is outgoing and sociable, Duane is broody and reserved. This is why Jessica James, recent college graduate and perpetual level-headed good girl, has been in naïve and unhealthy infatuation with Beau Winston for most of her life. His friendly smiles make her tongue-tied and weak-kneed, and she’s never been able to move beyond her childhood crush. Whereas Duane and Jessica have always been adversaries. She can’t stand him, and she’s pretty sure he can’t stand the sight of her…But after a case of mistaken identity, Jessica finds herself in a massive confusion kerfuffle. Jessica James has spent her whole life paralyzed by the fantasy of Beau and her assumptions of Duane’s disdain; therefore she’s unprepared for the reality that is Duane’s insatiable interest, as well as his hot hands and hot mouth and hotter looks. Not helping Jessica’s muddled mind and good girl sensibilities, Duane seems to have gotten himself in trouble with the local biker gang, the Iron Wraith. Certainly, Beau’s magic spell is broken. Yet when Jessica finds herself drawn to the man who was always her adversary, now more dangerous than ever, how much of her level-head heart is she willing to risk?" - Nabbed from the Goodreads Blurb 

Yes, the main female lead has my name. And yes, I enjoyed that immensely. There were some very distinct differences between us though. She was a Calculus teacher. I never took Calculus. If I had I would have most likely suffered a nervous break down. Math is NOT my thing. I do, however, really admire how she commented on the sexist Halloween tradition of sexifying everyday career choices and mundane objects/creatures such as bees by dressing as a sexy Gandalf in the first chapter. That's how I knew I could get along with her. There was a beard and a hat and a very sexy short skirt.

Enough said? I think so.

I have yet to read my way through Penny Reid's entire library of books but I've adopted the habit of visiting her stacks several times a year. I loved Beard Science so much that I've listened to it five times over the last year and it took me some time to move on from it! (Again - don't start with Beard Science, start with .5 or Truth or Beard! Heed my advice!). Sometime soon I intend to be reading my way backwards through the Knitting in the City series. While she has earned her place in the quality list I keep of authors who I trust to purchase before reading...Reid's not in my library app and I have a strict budget in regards to what I purchase each month. She's got a huge list and I have a lot of books on my to-be-purchased TBR list.

I encourage you to give her and/or the bearded Winston Brothers a try when you next feel like your in the mood for a smart romance.

Happy reading!

Until next time,

Jess

0 comments :