Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Nostalgia Rules by Katherine Arden

Long live the spooky middle grade reads. Katherine Arden came out with her foray into the middle school reading group last year. It took me a while to get to it but when I did I was transported back to the era of reading books in secret late into the night. Oh, sweet memories. Stashing books between my wheelchair motor and my seat to hide them from my parents because I was always grounded from reading. I was a very well behaved child (although treated like I was the worst because I was the oldest kid in the house) but I would rebel against the system for my books! Oh, how I rebelled. Books hidden EVERYWHERE. But, anyway - I get distracted...ahem...


Small Spaces by Katherine Arden

Image Description: Illustrated so that the viewer is looking out from between two wide apart trees. The border of the cover are the blackened silhouettes of the trees. The right side has the black silhouette of a creepy looking scarecrow with straw hat, two empty see-through eyes, and a stitched smiling face. Above written in the branches of the trees is the title of the book "Small Spaces'. Ahead, through the forest is a school bus stopped on a road. Behind them a field of violet with dark silhouettes of scare crow and even farther a lavender silhouette of a barn and a silo. Everything outside of the forest (except for the scarecrows and bus) are various shades of violets and pinks casting the environment in twilight.

Publishing: September 25th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers
Pg Count: Hardcover, 219 pages

After suffering a tragic loss, eleven-year-old Ollie only finds solace in books. So when she happens upon a crazed woman at the river threatening to throw a book into the water, Ollie doesn't think--she just acts, stealing the book and running away. As she begins to read the slender volume, Ollie discovers a chilling story about a girl named Beth, the two brothers who both loved her, and a peculiar deal made with "the smiling man," a sinister specter who grants your most tightly held wish, but only for the ultimate price. Ollie is captivated by the tale until her school trip the next day to Smoke Hollow, a local farm with a haunting history all its own. There she stumbles upon the graves of the very people she's been reading about. Could it be the story about the smiling man is true? Ollie doesn't have too long to think about the answer to that. On the way home, the school bus breaks down, sending their teacher back to the farm for help. But the strange bus driver has some advice for the kids left behind in his care: "Best get moving. At nightfall they'll come for the rest of you." Nightfall is, indeed, fast descending when Ollie's previously broken digital wristwatch, a keepsake reminder of better times, begins a startling countdown and delivers a terrifying message: RUN. Only Ollie and two of her classmates heed the bus driver's warning. As the trio head out into the woods--bordered by a field of scarecrows that seem to be watching them--the bus driver has just one final piece of advice for Ollie and her friends: "Avoid large places. Keep to small." And with that, a deliciously creepy and hair-raising adventure begins. - Nabbed from Goodreads

Nostalgia rules forever in the land of Small Spaces. And yet, it is entirely set in modern middle school-land. Cell phones are featured - because you know all kids have cell phones now. I remember back in the day me and my brother had to share this one cell phone and we only got to have it to ourselves when we were out and about doing stuff with friends. We weren't allowed to text on it. And middle school? HA. I did not have a cell phone in middle school! I'm getting distracted again! Grr...argh...

Ahem. 

I quite enjoyed Small Spaces. It was spooky but not terrifying. I think it could be too much for a sensitive child but just right for most kids. If there are children reading this (or my niece or nephew) - its absolutely okay to read a spooky book in broad daylight with your Mom in the kitchen in easy reach of a butcher knife (to defend you, of course) and with or without a stuffie for your snuggling comfort. It's also okay to stay up with a light from the cellphone that I would have never had at your age and read until your eyes are so heavy that you fall asleep with the book plastered onto your face. Whatever works for you is great when it comes to reading a spooky book.

Ollie is the kind of girl I could have been friends with. A reader with a Dad who cooks her good food? That sounds familiar to me! And her 'sidekicks' are exactly the friends she should have. Except she doesn't know she needs to have them as her friends. Spoiler...they become her friends. 

To avoid other spoilers I won't go into detail about the actual plot. I can, however, completely rave about how Small Spaces is a spooky delight. Much like one of my favorites - Meg in A Wrinkle Of Time - she's dealing with the loss of a parent and no one seems to be able to reach her. But, through the perilous journey she will find herself with companions and challenges that work her through the grief and trauma to becoming the heroine they all require in their hours of need. Our heroine is capable, strong, and developed. Her emotional journey is satisfyingly paired with her physical and material journey. 

I think, what also makes this book so successful in execution is that it doesn't treat the reader too carefully. I think that it might be easy when writing a middle school aged book to overthink what is appropriate or not to put into the story. Being afraid of going too far in the action or too much in the facts and historical context in case you either legitimately traumatize or bore the target audience. Arden balances both with grace. It's a kids book but its not a 'I'm an Adult writing down to children' kind of book. 

The reason I'm featuring it on my blog is because I think we as adults all need to go back in time every once in a while and read a book that we would have loved when we were the targeted reading age range of said book. Its good for the spirit and one of my favorite ways to take a grown up stay-cation. 

Also - I really love Katherine Arden. 

And so I  absolutely give Small Spaces an excellent five star review and hope that you all will pick it up for yourself or gift it to the middle school reader in your life.

Happy reading!

Jess


0 comments :